Small houses are becoming really popular right now, and we have some people who advocate that downsizing to smaller homes are more straightforward, more affordable and are eco-friendly. But getting your off-grid tiny house, you need to understand how to organize and use every space in brilliant ways.
A tiny house is usually between 100 to 400 square feet, and they can come in various shapes and sizes. They also cost less than the regular dwellings which leave you with extra cash to cater to other needs.
Tips and Guide building your First Off-Grid Tiny House
You have to first seek compliance of the building department, and then obtain the necessary permits for the building. Building on a stable, permanent foundation is less expensive than building a specific type of trailer on wheels. You should also think about building the house on the skids but also anchor it to a foundation which makes it easy to move.
As much as living in tiny houses is an attractive option financially, there are also some setbacks to them. You can face a number of the below-listed issues.
- The first is the land to build your home on. Property is pretty expensive and in short supply, so getting the finances you need to lease land might be a bit tedious, even though you don’t need a lot of remote land for your home. Also, people want the balance of getting land at a reasonable price and also being close to the city where you can access the amenities needed.
- Financing to build your home is also essential; most financial institutions aren’t wild about giving loans to tiny houses because they do not have a good resale value. So if you have that dream of building your own home, then you have to get a bit creative, like borrowing from family or saving up for it.
- In the society today, we have been conditioned to want more stuff as bigger is usually thought to be better. People can become judgmental when they hear that you would rather have a tiny house compared to the big ones that depict a lavish lifestyle. So you may be looked down on.
But despite the challenges you face trying to build your dream team home, there are some advantages to making it; you can start living mortgage free once you develop your home quickly.
You will spend less on building materials.
A full-time job is unnecessary since you don’t have a mortgage to pay.
11 DIY Cheapest Tiny House Kit
There are some storage ideas for your off-grid tiny house without having to sacrifice the style factor, read some of them below.
- Why buy just a sofa when you can have a two on one sofa and storage. Avoid clutter and open up space by using the sofa boxes as a storage container, which can be used for multiple purposes.
- Under your bed can be a storage space for blankets, bed sheets, pillows, and even shoes this makes access easier and frees up a lot of space you would have used in creating an ordinary closet for them.
- Most people tend to ignore the space under the staircase, you can turn that space into a place where a fold desk countertop that can be used for eating or for work. The area can also be changed into a bookshelf or coat closet.
- You can save money and space by leaving out the cabinet for pots and creating a pot rack. You can also have one for your dishes. The tray can be placed above your sink, which makes things easier after drainage.
- Instead of occupying space you would have used for something else, Have a hanging rail made for your utensils.
- If you do have a kitchen cabinet, there is a lot of unused space just under the shelves. This is where wire under shelf baskets come into place. Store your cups and dishes in them.
- Discard the usual space consuming spice rack containers and put your spices in magnetic tins. You can line them up in front of your mini fridge. The transparent lid shows you when it is time to buy more spices and refill.
- Storage lofts are a great place to store things. The space above a door creates a storage space that is out of the way. This opens up more space on the ground for other things.
- Building shelves into the walls are a great way of creating extra storage space. The trick is to keep the shelves shallow but wide enough to take one layer of cans.
Floor storage is another genius storage space, if your floors are open, then you can add hidden compartments beneath. So think about adding raised floors to your building plan.
Maximize space by adding drawers underneath your stairs. This is a great storage space for clothes.
An off-grid tiny house seems to be the dream for many people. There seems to be a satisfaction gotten from living off-grid and powered by solar and wind energy. They want the freedom and simplicity of living off the electricity grid. This is a way to save money on electricity which can be funneled into other projects.
Having a constant water source is another important thing you will need to plan on getting your home. You either connect to the city’s water supply or drill your own personal well. Many small homes have composting toilets which solve the problem of what to do with the waste, that is if you do not already have an outhouse built.
Having a tiny house should not just be viewed as a trend as it is a lot of responsibility and also involves a change in lifestyle but it does not mean that you have to live without style and comfort, all which can be incorporated into your home.
Links credits to the following: